Benjamin Bakall MD, PhD
Originally from Uppsala, Sweden, Dr. Benjamin Bakall joined Associated Retina Consultants in 2013 as a medical retina and inherited retinal dystrophy specialist. He is the director of the Inherited Retinal Disease and Visual Function Clinic at the Phoenix office, and a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix.
Dr. Bakall has researched, published and lectured at national meetings on numerous topics in ophthalmology and inherited retinal diseases. He is an expert contributor for the Hereditary Eye Disorders database and the Rare Inherited Disorder database for the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare as well as a reviewer of several scientific journals such as the European Journal of Neuroscience.
Dr. Bakall maintains memberships in several professional organizations including the Arizona Ophthalmological Society and the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology. He has also been the medical chair for Vision Walk Arizona-Foundation for Fighting Blindness for several years.
During his free time, he enjoys traveling, diving, exercising and spending time with his family.
- Retinal Diseases
- Macular Degeneration
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Inherited Retinal Diseases
- Retinal Electrophysiology
- Anders Wall award for the best young scientist in Sweden
- Swedish Research Council postdoctoral fellowship award
- Foundation Fighting Blindness Alan Laties career development award
- National Eye Institute – National Institutes of Health University of Arizona
- American Society of Retina Specialists conference
- Foundation Fighting Blindness VISIONS conference
- Foundation Fighting Blindness Arizona Speaker Series
- Medical Director for the Arizona Vision Walk
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- International Society of Genetic Eye Diseases & Retinoblastoma
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Arizona and Phoenix Ophthalmological Societies